Media coverage of Charlotte General Assembly
The UUA General Assembly in Charlotte began attracting local media attention on Saturday, especially with its downtown Standing on the Side of Love rally Saturday afternoon and the lecture Saturday morning by Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf. Here’s a guide to coverage.
The Charlotte Observer has published several items:
- Unitarian Universalists Gather in Charlotte: Liberal denomination stands up for its causes (Charlotte Observer, 6.25.11)
First, they honored the imam who’s in the middle of plans to build an Islamic center near ground zero. Then they rallied in uptown Charlotte to support gays, lesbians and same-sex marriage.
And that was just in the first 48 hours or so after they got to town.
- Imam: ‘Dream still alive’ for Islamic center (Charlotte Observer, 6.25.11)
- Photos: Unitarian Universalist Association General Assembly (Charlotte Observer, 6.24.11)
TV stations and the local LGBT newspaper covered the Standing on the Side of Love rally:
- Hundreds attend Uptown faith rally against anti-LGBT amendment (QNotes, 6.24.11)
- Hundreds rally in Charlotte against anti-gay marriage amendment (WBTV, 6.24.11)
QNotes also published a lengthy profile of the UUA in advance of General Assembly: Progressive, gay-friendly church assembly convenes in Charlotte today (QNotes, 6.22.11)